Part II Listening Comprehension (30 minutes)
Directions: In this section, you will bear 8 short conversations and 2 long conversations. At the end of each conversation, one or more questions will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and the questions will be spoken only once. After each questions there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked A), B),C) and D), and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on Answer sheet 1 with a single line through the center.
1. A) The woman should go on playing chess.
B) He is willing to play chess with the woman.
C) The woman has good reason to quit the game.
D) He will give the woman some tips on the game.
2. A) She would like to resume contact with Sally.
B) The man can forward the mail to Mary.
C) She can call Mary to take care of the mail.
D) Mary probably knows Sally's new address.
3. A) He did not attend today’s class.
B) His notes are not easy to read.
C) His handwriting has a unique style.
D) He is very pleased to be able to help.
4. A) The new restaurant is a perfect place for dating.
B) The new restaurant caught her fancy immediately.
C) The man has good taste in choosing the restaurant.
D) The man had better choose another restaurant.
5. A) He will help the woman put things away.
B) He has been waiting for the winter sale.
C) He has been looking forward to spring.
D) He will clean the woman's boots for spring.
6. A) The woman often works overtime at weekends.
B) The man often lends books to the woman.
C) The man appreciates the woman's help.
D) The woman is rather forgetful.
7. A) Take a sightseeing trip.
B) Go to work on foot.
C) Start work earlier than usual.
D) Take a walk when the weather is nice.
8. A) Temporary closing has disturbed the airport’s operation.
B) The plane is going to land at another airport.
C) All flights have been delayed due to bad weather.
D) The airport’s management is in real need of improvement.
Questions 9 to 12 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
9. A) It specializes in safety from leaks. B) It is headquartered in London.
C) It has a chemical processing plant. D) It has a partnership with LCP.
10. A) He is a safety inspector. B) He is Mr. Grand’s friend.
C) He is a chemist. D) He is a salesman.
11. A) The public relations officer. B) Head of the personnel department.
C) Mr. Grand’s personal assistant. D) Director of the safety department.
12. A) Send a comprehensive description of their work.
B) Provide details of their products and services.
C) Leave a message for Mr. Grand.
D) Wait for Mr. Grand to call back.
Questions 13 to 15 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
13. A) She listened to recordings of many European orchestras.
B) She read a lot about European musicians and their music.
C) She dreamed of working and living in a European country.
D) She learned playing the violin from a famous French musician.
14. A) She was a pupil of a famous European violinist.
B) She gave her first performance with her father.
C) She became a professional violinist at fifteen.
D) She began taking violin lessons as a small child.
15. A) It was the chance of a lifetime.
B) It was a great challenge to her.
C) It gave her a chance to explore the city.
D) It helped her learn classical French music.